Tender Greens Spring Salad
Courtesy of Chef Erik Oberholtzer, Chef/Co-Owner of Tender Greens
This colorful veggie salad embraces all the wonderful produce that’s in season. Add protein for a heartier main dish.
2 ounces fava bean sprouts
2 ounces little gem lettuce, butter, or romaine lettuce
6 sugar snap peas, string removed, blanched
6 English peas, shelled, blanched
6 fava beans, shelled, blanched, shelled again
2 organic rainbow carrots, peeled, shaved in thin rounds
2 raw baby beets, peeled, shaved in thin rounds, red, yellow or pink
6 mint leaves
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 spring onion, shaved
1 1/2 ounce toasted almonds
1/3 pound shaved dry aged jack cheese
Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Protein: salami, chicken, steak, fish (optional)
- To prepare the peas, remove from pod and blanch in salted, boiling water for about 1 minute. Shock in ice water and drain.
- Clean the fava shoots and little gem lettuce heads in clean, cold water and spin dry.
- Using a mandoline, shave beets, carrots, and cheese. Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- For the dressing: Shave spring onion and add to a small bowl. Add Dijon, lemon zest, juice, salt, and pepper. Whisk in olive oil, sea salt, and fresh cracked pepper. Season to taste.
- When ready to serve, pour dressing over the lettuce and vegetable mixture, add mint leaves, toasted almonds, and toss.
- Top with shaved jack and serve.
- If desired, top with protein — salami, chicken, steak, or fish.
Serves 2-4 people
We rounded up 11 other delish salad recipes in honor of National Salad Month. Check them out here!
Like this post? There's more. Get tons of beauty tips, tutorials, and news on the FabFitFun Facebook page!