Dark Chocolate-Chile Cake with Pumpkin Whipped Cream
Courtesy Natural Health
OK, so maybe this is slightly more chocolate and less pumpkin, but trust us, this sweet and spicy brownie-inspired cake is to-die-for. Literally. OK, maybe not literally, but you catch our drift.
1 cup (4 1/2 ounces) plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ancho chile powder, more for dusting (optional)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup organic evaporated cane juice crystals
2 large eggs
1 1/2 ounces dark chocolate, melted
1/2 cup nonfat milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. To prepare cake: Coat a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper; lightly coat paper with cooking spray. Dust pan with 1 tablespoon flour.
3. Sift together 1 cup flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, chile powder, cinnamon, and salt.
4. Place butter in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add organic evaporated cane juice crystals; beat until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in chocolate. Add flour mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
5. Beat in extracts. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Run a knife around edge of cake. Remove cake from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon canned pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon agave nectar
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1. Beat cream at high speed until soft peaks form.
3. Add pumpkin, agave nectar, and pumpkin pie spice; beat at high speed until stiff peaks form.
3. Serve with cake, dusted lightly with ancho chile pepper if you like.
Like this post? There's more. Get tons of beauty tips, tutorials, and news on the FabFitFun Facebook page!