Pumpkin-Cranberry Bread Pudding with Maple Crème Anglaise
Courtesy Clean Eating
Don’t let the super fancy name fool you, this decadent dessert is actually quite simple (the creme can be a little tricky, but nothing a FFF girl can’t handle). Double bonus — this recipe only uses clean, natural ingredients.
Olive oil cooking spray
2 eggs plus 2 egg whites, 2 yolks reserved for crème
1/2 cup maple sugar flakes
4 packets stevia
15-ounce canned organic solid pumpkin or cooked and puréed pumpkin
1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
5 cups cubed day-old, whole-wheat bakery bread (cut into 1-inch cubes)
1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
1. Lightly mist an 8 x 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, egg whites, maple sugar flakes, stevia, pumpkin, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. With a rubber spatula, fold in bread and cranberries.
3. Spoon mixture into baking dish, smooth top with spatula and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Meanwhile, prepare crème (recipe below).
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove plastic wrap from baking dish. Bake bread mixture for 40 to 50 minutes, until custard sets. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Slice into rectangles and drizzle each serving with crème, dividing evenly.
1/4 cup maple sugar flakes
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 teaspoon arrowroot powder
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. In a medium heat-proof bowl, whisk reserved yolks and maple sugar flakes.
2. In a small saucepan, heat milk on medium until bubbling around the edges. Remove from heat and slowly whisk 1/3 cup milk into yolk mixture. Return saucepan to medium heat. Whisk arrowroot into yolk-milk mixture until no lumps remain and add to saucepan. Cook, stirring often, for 3 to 5 minutes, until slightly thickened; do not boil.
3. Remove from heat, whisk in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and transfer to a small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed (no more than 6 hours).
Like this post? There's more. Get tons of beauty tips, tutorials, and news on the FabFitFun Facebook page!