Mixed Pattern Nails
What: Mixed Patterns
Designed by: Alexis from xoxoalexisleigh.blogspot.com/
Style Inspiration: Alexis’s current infatuations: cat liner (on a daily basis of course!), lace, velvet, floral and all things vintage! She’s recently come to the conclusion that she is in fact captivated by nail polish and nail art and loves trying new designs or colors. Her go to clothing color is black because it’s super chic and matches everything. Add two of her favorite things, black & lace together and she’s got to have it! Her nail obsession at the moment is holographic polishes. To find out some more about her you can go here, http://xoxoalexisleigh.
Here’s how to recreate this look:
Tools needed: Nail art brush (or an old liquid liner brush cut a tiny bit thinner), bobby pin (or dotting tool), scrap paper (or cardboard), lots of polish in your desired color scheme!
1. Pick your colors! She used five colors, but you can use as many or as little as you’d like! Two alternating base colors and however many “design” colors you want.
2. Apply a base coat, let dry.
3. Pick two colors and paint them alternating on each finger. She used white and brown. To speed up drying time you can apply a coat of Seche Vite.
4. Get out your scrap paper, bobby pin, and nail brush. She used an old liquid liner brush.
5. You can create your own designs, but here’s how to recreate this look. For the vertical stripes: alternate colors using your nail brush. She did white, mint, white, red.
6. For the diagonal stripes with dashes: use your nail brush to create diagonal lines, leaving room for the dashed line (red, mint, space for dashes, red mint, space for dashes). Alternate red and mint stripes. Now take your brown and create dash marks in between the red and mint.
7. For the horizontal stripes: take your nail brush and create three horizontal lines with your alternating colors (red, white, mint if on brown base).
8. For the polka dots: take out your bobby pin and create a random pattern with it using brown, mint, and red on the white nail base.
9. For the rosettes: use your bobby pin to make slightly misshapen dots in mint and red. With your nail brush swirl in just a tiny bit of white into your rosettes. Create leaves with your white using your nail brush (just make a little V and fill it in). Her sister thought the rosettes looked like ice cream cones so if you see that too, just go with it.
10. Whew! Looks like a lot of work but it’s pretty quick! Just apply a coat of Seche Vite and you’re finished! These are sure to get you some compliments!
Colors Used: Sinful colors – Nirvana, Sally Hansen X-treme Wear – White out, Essie – Mint Candy Apple, Franken in red.
And to check out the whole calendar click here! More manis will be released every day in March.
Like this post? There's more. Get tons of beauty tips, tutorials, and news on the FabFitFun Facebook page!