These savory pockets of dough are often deep fried and stuffed with high-cal fillings. Check out these lean, mean, baked, turkey-filled versions.
2 packages (20 pieces) of Goya empanada discs
1 pound lean ground turkey or chicken
1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 10-ounce package of organic frozen corn
6 plum tomatoes, diced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/3 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 reduced fat Mexican blend finely shredded cheese
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 white onion, finely diced
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place olive oil in skillet with onion. Sauté 1-2 minutes over medium heat until translucent.
3. Add ground turkey and sauté until no longer pink. Add water, cumin, coriander, chili powder and red pepper flakes. Stir until well mixed and put it to low heat.
4. Add frozen corn, beans and tomatoes. Make sure it is completely mixed and let sit for a few minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Spray two baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray. Lay the Goya discs flat and spread two teaspoons of the meat mixture on the bottom half of the disc. Sprinkle some cheese on top.
6. Fold over and pinch the ends closed with your fingers. Make sure the ends are completely closed. You can also take a fork to make slit marks along the edges.
7. Continue to make all of the empanadas. Bake for 20-25 minutes until light golden brown.
Courtesy Nutritionist Lauren Kelly
For other great healthy Mexican recipes, check out our Cinco de Mayo slideshow!
Like this post? There's more. Get tons of beauty tips, tutorials, and news on the FabFitFun Facebook page!