Did you know that July is National Blueberry Month? Yep, somewhere in the world, that little brat Violet Beauregarde is hiding her blue bulging body until this month is over and Willy Wonka sends his Oompa Loompas to deflate her.
Meanwhile, we’re celebrating in true blue style! Blueberries are not only delicious, they’re also nutritious! The little blue balls (not that kind of blue balls) are high in fiber, as well as Vitamins A and C. Plus, they’re packed with antioxidants (meaning they fight aging, cancer, and heart disease).
Oh, and the berries are patriotic! According to the North American Blueberry Council (yes, it really exists), 90% of the world’s blueberries are produced here, making them the all-American superfruit!
Scott Jenkins, executive chef at Arlington, VA-based Extra Virgin restaurant, said that blueberries “can add a lot to your dishes, and they offer a lot of health benefits.” He suggested five ways to add blueberries to your diet:
- Baked goods: Blueberries are great in pancakes, muffins, and pies, whether for breakfast or dessert!
- Sauces: Create your own sauce for pancakes and waffles, or use them in a savory sauce for your meat dishes.
- Add-ons: Top a salad with blueberries or add them to grains, such as quinoa. (Our fave for breakfast!)
- Dried: Blueberries that have been dried make a great addition to trail mix.
- Soups and smoothies: Drinking blueberries is also a tasty way to get their benefits. Add them to soups, smoothies, and fresh juices.
And to get your blueberry kick going we’ve rounded up some of the tastiest recipes featuring the bright blue super fruit. Check them out here!
xx, The FabFitFun Team
Like this post? There's more. Get tons of beauty tips, tutorials, and news on the FabFitFun Facebook page!